At uvex, we want to realise our vision of protecting people in a sustainable way. As a manufacturer with a high in-house production rate, we consider the environmental impact of all of our processes and can influence most aspects of the value creation chain.
We use this influence to reach our sustainability goals in terms of ecology, economy, working conditions and human rights, employees and society, and product. In uvex plants, we’ve implemented almost 300 measures and projects to improve our sustainability performance.
Our sustainability targets
- Reduction in energy consumption amounting to 6.5% in relation to energy metrics (based on financial year 2016/17) by the end of financial year 2019/20 as part of measures linked to DIN EN ISO 50001
- Secure supply of carbon-neutral energy and gas for energy procurement
- Alternatives to energy-intensive production processes
- Optimisation of production processes
- Ongoing supplier monitoring by way of audits to ensure total compliance with social standards
- Expansion of the uvex group’s employer brand: recruit and retain employees over the long term - particularly for target groups that are hard to fill, increase recognition of the uvex group and improve its image, motivate and retain internal employees, project younger image of the uvex group as an employer
- Further development of digital tools such as e-learning Increased use of social media for the purposes of recruiting and retaining employees
- Rainer Winter Foundation's work to be continued by the family business over the long term
Michael Winter, Managing Partner uvex group
"For over 90 years, we have been producing and distributing high-quality products to protect people in sports, leisure and at work. And to be able protect people, we must accept responsibility. It is precisely this mission that instils in us the commitment to work sustainably and with a social conscience."
Sustainable protection of people and environment
Protecting people also means taking responsibility for the environment - and we take this responsibility very seriously by voluntarily exceeding statutory requirements for environmental protection. We place high value on continuity and the responsible use and deployment of social, environmental and economic resources – to protect our environment, society, and the health of our customers.
uvex's approach to sustainability in detail
In production, we consider the environmental impact of all of our processes:
- Over 90% of the energy we consume is green energy – generating annual CO2 savings of more than 7000 tonnes
- Our earplug production process is waterless and virtually CO2-neutral
- We have introduced complex energy recovery systems to reduce our energy consumption
- Our safety shoe production department is certified in line with ISO-14001; this is the first area of our company to obtain this certification
For a number of years, uvex has followed its own social code, implemented a prohibited substances list and applied a comprehensive quality management system:
- Binding social standard for all suppliers – based on globally recognised standards such as those of the ILO or SA8000
- 85 regularly audited core suppliers
- Consistent implementation of defined measures across the world by trained uvex employees more than 10,000 hazardous substances checks carried out each year along the entire value creation chain
- Systems that surpass legal requirements 80 employees dedicated to ensuring that all products are of optimum quality
- 11 locations across the world with DIN-ISO-9001 certification